1/1 Photo of Mom's Pickle Soup
1 hr 30 mins
This is one of three soup recipes that my mom has made for as long as I can remember. This one is my favourite, as it's got a great tang from the pickles. Make sure to use kosher dill pickles, or any other variety that isn't sweet. Also, all quantities are approximate as this is a recipe my mom learned from her mom, and I've learned from watching her.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim pork bones of visible fat. Place 1-3 pork bones in a saucepan and add enough water to cover plus about one inch. Some of the water can be substituted with chicken broth for more flavour.
- 2Add salt and pepper to taste, allspice (4-5 whole or just a dash if using powder) and bay leaves.
- 3Cut onion in half and add to water.
- 4Simmer for about half an hour. Add carrot, parsley root and celery root. These vegetables should be cut in half, just so they cook quicker but don't have to be bite size as they'll be removed later.
- 5Simmer 15-20 minutes or until veggies are soft. Remove the vegetables, onion and meat.
- 6Cut one carrot into bite size pieces. Take the meat off the bone and cut into small pieces as well.
- 7Add the potatoes to the stock and cook until potatoes are tender (15-20 minutes).
- 8Add back the cut carrot and meat. Add 2 grated pickles and cook for a few minutes to soften them up.
- 9Season to taste and finish with sour cream (amount will depend on how much soup you've made). To ensure the sour cream dissolves properly, stir it in a separate coup with some hot broth and then add to the soup. Add parsley and serve hot.
- 10This soup will keep for several days, although the potatoes do get harder the longer it sits. My mom usually breaks the potatoes up before she puts it in the fridge, so they'll be easier to eat the next day.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Pickle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 452.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: