Recipe by CraftScout
This is my mother's recipe for pesto. In order to make my mother's recipe, the first step is VERY important! :)
Top Review by Atiekay
Hey ~ I think we stretched this a bit to feed 6.... but it was perfect. I served it over some chicken with some quinoa(grain) for my family - so made it exactly according to your recipe. All I've got to say is, YUM=). Very basic, very good! Thanks.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, fresh picked, packed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (not the stuff in a green can)
- 2 -6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grow 4-5 large basil plants so you can make this all summer long. Purple basil makes the spiciest pesto (my Dad's favorite).
- Put basil, nuts, cheese and garlic in a food processor.
- Turn it on and drizzle in enough olive oil to reach the desired consistency - thick for spreading on bread or thin for tossing with cooked vegetables or pasta.
- NOTE: Do not use dried basil. This recipe can be frozen (in ice cube trays or 1/2 - 1 cup portions) for up to 6 months, but do not add the cheese until you are ready to eat or the sauce will fall apart.