Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom used to make this recipe all the time. The cookies never lasted long when Dad was in the kitchen! They're easy to make, and soft and chewy. Where's the milk?
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars, margarine, shortening, peanut butter, and egg. Beat till creamy.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Once thoroughly mixed, roll into 1 1/2" balls. Roll balls in a bowl of sugar, coating on all sides. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and press a Hershey's Kiss into the center of each cookie while still warm.
I made these recently for a fun day of watching college football with my family and my son's friends and TRIPLED the recipe. A little bit after halftime, I checked on the status of the spread I had created: not a cookie in sight. If that is not a five star review, I do not know what is! It took just two quarters of a football game for a few adults and several teens to devour the platter... my son told me next time, before his friends come over he will be hiding a stash in his room!
We made these last night and they turned out absolutely perfect. I accidentally read the recipe wrong and added 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda AND baking powder but it had no ill effects whatsoever. Hubby likes them because he says they remind him of the peanut butter cookies he had as a child and says they would be great without the hershey kiss on top too. I like them because I had never had a peanut butter cookie that is rolled in sugar before baking and it really gives them a nice crisp outside. Overall, I think these are the perfect peanut butter cookies and they will be in my recipe box for years to come. Thanks so much for posting. :D
I made these for my Christmas Cookie Tray, they were great!!!