Recipe by beth
This was a salad that my late mother made often. We love it and I hope you will too.
Top Review by JT'sMom
We just love this salad. It is great for summer and love the fact it I can make it the night before. This is very similar to a salad that my Great Grandma made (she added water chestnuts). I didn’t have the canned cheese, so I used fresh and used a micro plane grater to achieve a similar texture. I also used fresh bacon because I had it on hand. I wasn’t sure what size bag of peas to use, but had a little over ½ of a 1 pound bag, which was just right. I served this with a rotisserie chicken (from the deli), sliced tomatoes, and some left over pasta. The salad was the star of the meal. Thank you Beth and Mom!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 3⁄4-1 cup sliced celery
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1 bag frozen baby peas, thawed under cool water
- 1 cup mayonnaise, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- parmesan cheese (Kraft in a can is my choice)
- bacon bits, in a jar (I use Hormel)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 9x13 pan place chopped lettuce.
- sprinkle on celery, then onion and then thawed peas.
- Cover completely with the mayo mixture and then sprinkle completely with the parmesan cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prior to serving sprinkle liberally with the bacon bits.