A childhood favorite that my Mom would make for lunch when I was growing-up. Feel free to modify this recipe as you wish to satisfy your dietary needs and/or preferences. All I ask is that you let me know of your mods, the outcome, and if you and your family liked the original as well. Thanks. Dave
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice bread (your preference)
- 1-2 slice tomato (medium thickness works well, but again your preference here too)
- 2.46-4.92 ml spicy brown mustard (I've always used Gulden's, but again, use what fits you and your tastes)
- 1-2 slice swiss cheese (enough to fit the proportion of the bread)
- 2-3 slice cooked bacon (any type you prefer, light, turkey, etc.)
- 1Set oven to BROIL. (If you have a choice between HI or LOW, use your own judgement. All that matters is that it is on BROIL.).
- 2Place Bread on 'preparation area'. (I recommend using a piece of aluminum foil as it will serve a purpose later on.).
- 3Apply mustard to one side of bread. Use as much or as little as you like. I tend use enough to 'lightly' cover the 'top-side' of the bread slice.
- 4Lay cooked strips of bacon on mustard side of bread. (If you desire, you could even crumble the bacon).
- 5Lay tomato slice(s) in center of bread slice.
- 6Lay Swiss cheese slice(s) on top of the tomato slice(s).
- 7Place on a piece of aluminum foil, if not already done so as your 'prep surface', and place on a cookie sheet, broiler pan, or straight on oven rack.
- 8BROIL until Swiss cheese melts to your desire. I let it go until it starts to brown and 'crisps', but try not to burn the cheese though as it does not make for a good taste (at least not for me but again your preference here, lol).
- 9Remove 'sandwich' from the oven and allow to cool if too hot for you to eat right away. Elsewise, plate, serve, eat, and enjoy!
- 10(OPTIONAL)- Note that lightly toasting the bread first, and then following the above steps, will help to keep the bread from becoming too soggy from the combination of the mustard and the fresh tomato slice(s) when broiled.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Open-Faced B.m.t With Swiss
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.7
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 43.3 mg
- Sodium 622.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 15.6 g