9 hrs 15 mins
This stew is just like one my mom used to make when my sister and I were little girls and she was the busy mom on the run!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, diced,with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 1In a heavy plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- 2In batches, add beef to flour mixture and toss to coat.
- 3Transfer to a plate.
- 4In a large nonstick skillet, heat half the oil over medium high heat.
- 5Cook beef in batches, adding more oil as needed, until browned all over.
- 6With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a slow cooker.
- 7Add 1 cup stock to pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits.
- 8Transfer stock mixtures to slow cooker.
- 9Add carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, tomatoes (with juice) remaining stock, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and parsely; mix well to combine.
- 10Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours until vegetables are tender and stew is bubbling.
- 11Remove bay leaf and discard.
- 12Add peas.
- 13Cover and cook on high 15 to 20 minutes longer or until slightly thickened and peas are heated through.
- 14Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.4
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 101.3 mg
- Sodium 843.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 34.8 g