Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is our oldest family recipe. It is the essential stuffing and is the taste of our family meals.
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 12 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook celery and onion in melted butter over medium heat until tender, but do not let get brown. Remove from heat.
- Stir in seasoning and lemon pepper.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add onion mixture and beaten egg.
- Drizzle with enough chicken broth to moisten; toss lightly to combine. Add a little milk for flavoring.
- Spoon stuffing into neck and body cavities of the turkey.
- If you have some leftover, place it in a buttered casserole dish. Bake covered for 30-45 minutes or until heated through. You will want to add more chicken broth so that it isn't so dry. When it cooks inside the turkey it gets very moist, but in a baking dish it gets dry.
- Recipe makes enough for a 15 pound bird.