Recipe by qotw13
These are the oatmeal cookies I grew up with. I know there are tons of recipes for oatmeal cookies on here already, but I didn't find any exactly like this one, or even quite close enough to call the same. The yield is an estimate, because I don't remember how many this actually makes. Enjoy!
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW! These cookies are some of the best oatmeal cookies Ive ever eaten! They are crisp on the outside yet soft on the inside and have a wonderful cinnamon taste. I made half the recipe, reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup and that way they had a wonderful fruity sweetness from the raisins. I got 14 rather big cookies out of it, so I think 36 for the full recipe is a good guess. Thanks for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, qotw13! I will surely make this often again, as it is also very quick to whip up. Made and reviewed for one of my "babies" in Spring PAC 2009.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs til light and fluffy. Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop from tablespoon 2" apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400* about 8 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from pan.