Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup Sugar Twin
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 eggs or 2 egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup coconut
- Pour boiling water over oats; cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Blend in vanilla and eggs.
- Add to oat mixture; mix well.
- Stir together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Pour into 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Do NO T remove from pan.
- FROSTING Combine all ingredients and spread on cake. Broil until golden brown.
This is the oatmeal cake that my Grandmother and Mother used to make. Both of them have passed away and somehow their recipe was lost. . .until I found it again here in Recipezaar. It is sooo good.. . . . thanks a million. . it brings back a lot of memories
The flavor is excellent. However, the consistency is more like a steamed pudding than a cake, i.e., didn't rise much and too moist for my taste. I will try reducing the applesauce to 1/2 cup, and adding a teaspoon of baking powder. Also, the frosting/topping was too dry, so I added a tablespoon of canned milk.