Top Review by carolbygrace
This is the oatmeal cake that my Grandmother and Mother used to make. Both of them have passed away and somehow their recipe was lost. . .until I found it again here in Recipezaar. It is sooo good.. . . . thanks a million. . it brings back a lot of memories
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar or 1 cup Sugar Twin
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 eggs or 2 egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water over oats; cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Blend in vanilla and eggs.
- Add to oat mixture; mix well.
- Stir together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Pour into 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Do NO T remove from pan.
- FROSTING Combine all ingredients and spread on cake. Broil until golden brown.