Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I grew up eating the delicious Nanaimo Bars. They are very rich but sooooooo worth it!!! We often make then without the walnuts. Also you can add mint extract to the custard and make mint Nanaimo bars.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 5 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons custard powder or 2 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Base: Cook 1/2 cup butter, sugar, egg, cocoa and vanilla over low heat until butter melts.
- Stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, stir in crumbs, coconuts and walnuts.
- Press by hand into a lightly buttered 8 x 8 pan.
- Filling: Combine icing sugar, 1/2 cup butter and custard into a small bowl.
- Add milk gradually until mixture reached spreading consistency.
- Spread over base.
- Topping: Melt chocolate and butter over low heat.
- Spread evenly over filling.
- Chill until firm and then slice into small squares and serve.