Recipe by puppitypup
My mom is quite famous for these cookies. Everyone loves them.
Top Review by Maven in the Making
A very nice, crispy cookie with a crackled surface. Sprinkled chopped crystallized ginger pieces on the tops of a few of them just to try. Good, but they're delicious just made as written. Thanks.
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt shortening and let cool. Add 1 c sugar, molasses and egg. Beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients, except the remaining sugar. Add to first mixture. Mix well.
- Chill at least 1 hour. (Don't skip this step!).
- Form in 1 inch balls and roll in remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes on greased cookie sheets. (As low as 7 minutes in a convection oven).
- NOTE: To get the texture just right, follow the directions closely. Specifically three things: don't substitute butter or margarine for the shortening, melt the shortening, and hand form the cookies.