Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom is quite famous for these cookies. Everyone loves them.
Make and share this Mom's Molasses Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Melt shortening and let cool. Add 1 c sugar, molasses and egg. Beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients, except the remaining sugar. Add to first mixture. Mix well.
- Chill at least 1 hour. (Don't skip this step!).
- Form in 1 inch balls and roll in remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes on greased cookie sheets. (As low as 7 minutes in a convection oven).
- NOTE: To get the texture just right, follow the directions closely. Specifically three things: don't substitute butter or margarine for the shortening, melt the shortening, and hand form the cookies.
A very nice, crispy cookie with a crackled surface. Sprinkled chopped crystallized ginger pieces on the tops of a few of them just to try. Good, but they're delicious just made as written. Thanks.
Very nice cookies. I used a 1 tbsp scoop and got 42 cookies. Baked for 11 minutes and the edges were crispy with chewy centers. Just the way I like them. :) Thanks Puppitypup! Update Dec 22,2010 - I'm making theses again in less than a week. Special request by the man who doesn't like molasses cookies. lol UPDATE: Jan 26, 2011 - froze the dough in balls that had be dipped in sugar. Defrosted on the cookie sheet then baked for 10 minutes. Perfect!!!! Great time saver.
Very pretty, very delicious cookies, even for a non-molasses lover. Baked up like a charm. Thanks, would definitely make again.