My mom is quite famous for these cookies. Everyone loves them.
Make and share this Mom's Molasses Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Melt shortening and let cool. Add 1 c sugar, molasses and egg. Beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients, except the remaining sugar. Add to first mixture. Mix well.
- Chill at least 1 hour. (Don't skip this step!).
- Form in 1 inch balls and roll in remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes on greased cookie sheets. (As low as 7 minutes in a convection oven).
- NOTE: To get the texture just right, follow the directions closely. Specifically three things: don't substitute butter or margarine for the shortening, melt the shortening, and hand form the cookies.