Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mom makes 2 of these pies every year for Thanksgiving, one for me and one for my brother. Best eaten cold, with a turkey and dressing sandwich. Heaven!
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 1 jar mincemeat
- 3 -4 diced apples (Jonathan or Macintosh are best)
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup sugar, depending on taste
- Combine all ingredients, sprinkle a bit of sugar on the top pie crust.
- Bake at 350 till bubbly, about 45 minutes.
I added 1/4 cup spiced rum and only put in 1/4 cup of the orange juice. I also added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. The only reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was the orange flavor was a little strong, I think next time I will not use the orange zest.
This is a wonderfully easy pie. Couldn't find the jarred mincement so I used two packages of the 9 oz. Borden's None Such and made a 10". Have a customer who craves this once a year. Thanks.
Try adding a small flat can of crushed pineapple drained well. It adds a little something. As does a drop or two of rum.