1/3 Photos of Mom's Melt-In-Your-Mouth Dinner Rolls
My mom made these rolls for every occasion I can remember. They are originally in a little cookbook by Beverly Nye from Cleveland, Ohio. They are practically no fail, since there is no kneading involved. They are always light, tender, and delicious, and so popular that I usually plan on at least two per person rather than the one indicated here. They are also really convenient since you make the dough the night before and refrigerate it for the first rise. The times indicated do not include refrigerating overnight or the 2 hours they take to raise before baking. (P.S. Thanks for the photo Danielle)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water and add 1 tablespoon sugar and baking powder. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile scald milk. Add margarine, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Cool a little and then add eggs. (I do this step in my 4 c glass measure in the microwave.).
- 3Combine all with flour. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (The dough will more than double in bulk, so make sure your container is big enough. If it looks like it might outgrow its bowl, you can always punch it down once or twice without any ill effects.).
- 4Two hours before serving, divide dough into thirds and roll out into large circles about 9 inches in diameter on a floured surface. The dough will be sticky, but don't worry. It will quickly come together and handle really well with a few sprinklings of flour (not too much). Cut into 8 wedges and make crescent rolls by starting at the wide end and rolling up. Place on greased pans to rise, covered with clean towels.
- 5Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Mom always rubbed the hot rolls with a stick of butter when they came out of the oven, and I do, too. It makes them so beautiful.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Melt-In-Your-Mouth Dinner Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.2
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 62.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g