Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Don't remember where I got this recipe. I like the flavor that the sage gives this dish. Often requested by my family.
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup finely crushed saltine
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add milk, saltines, onion, salt, sage and pepper.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Shape into an 8 x 4 loaf on an ungreased baking sheet.
- (I use nonstick foil or parchment paper for clean up).
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Spread 3/4 cup over meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until no pink remains, then drain.
- Cover with remaining sauce and return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
Now this is the way meatloaf was made long ago,and all the new fancy stuff will not make it better.I did use 11/2 tea.salt, 1/2 tea.pepper and 1 tea.sage..will increase sage next time to 11/2tea...let the loaf brown, than poured the sauce over for 75min. 1/2 the sauce was good for me.Thank You, Margo59..this will now be my only meat loaf.