Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
The best mashed potatoes. Many think it is an easy thing to make mashed potatoes, but there is an art to it, and my mom mastered it!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warm
- In a 6 quart pan, cook potatoes, covered, in enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Mash with potato masher or electric mixer on low speed.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually beat in enough milk to make mixture light and fluffy.
- To go with turkey dinner, start 20 minutes before turkey is finished baking.
Great mashed potatoes. Simple and so good. Thanks for sharing. Made for Name That Ingredient Tag.
Great recipe! Made for I Recommend Cooking tag game.
Quintessinal! Perfect! I used a potato ricer (because I have one and I like it), and heated the butter and milk together. As my mother would say, "There is no need to gild a lily!" Nothing extra is needed for these to taste fantastic. Thanks for posting your mom's recipe, mrsteacher! Made for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.