1/4 Photos of Mom's Mashed Potato Salad
Caroline Cooks's Note:
Spring and Summer--Mom would make this for BBQs. Really very pretty, if you mold in bowl, unmold on lettuce leaves, and grate the cooked egg yolks over the top. Passive work time = must chill refrigeration; can be made ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (good for left-overs)
- 1/3 cup celery & leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish, drained well
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, more if needed
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, to taste
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, separate yolks
- white pepper
- cooking spray
- 1Separate cooked egg whites from yolks; refrigerate yolks for use when serving.
- 2In large bowl, combine mashed potatoes *need not be hot*, onions, mayo, Half and Half vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper, and chopped egg whites-only.
- 3Mix thorougly to blend; add additional mayo and Half & Half, if needed. Mixture should be moldable.
- 4Spray mixing bowl lightly with cooking spray, sized just large enough to hold filling completely to the top.
- 5Place mashed potato mixture into bowl, making sure no air holes are within.
- 6Compact firmly.
- 7Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 8To serve: Place lettuce leaves on serving plate.
- 9Run very thin bladed knife around inside of bowl to help with unmolding.
- 10Carefully, plate lettuce-lined plate upside down over molded potato salad.
- 11Flip and tap gently to release.
- 12Using a medium-fine grater/microplane, grate the cooked egg yolks over the top of the molded salad.
- 13Decorate with sliced stuffed olives, if desired.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Mashed Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.1
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 983.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: