Spring and Summer--Mom would make this for BBQs. Really very pretty, if you mold in bowl, unmold on lettuce leaves, and grate the cooked egg yolks over the top. Passive work time = must chill refrigeration; can be made ahead.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (good for left-overs)
- 1⁄3 cup celery & leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sweet pickle relish, drained well
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise, more if needed
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, to taste
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, separate yolks
- white pepper
- cooking spray
- Separate cooked egg whites from yolks; refrigerate yolks for use when serving.
- In large bowl, combine mashed potatoes *need not be hot*, onions, mayo, Half and Half vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper, and chopped egg whites-only.
- Mix thorougly to blend; add additional mayo and Half & Half, if needed. Mixture should be moldable.
- Spray mixing bowl lightly with cooking spray, sized just large enough to hold filling completely to the top.
- Place mashed potato mixture into bowl, making sure no air holes are within.
- Compact firmly.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve: Place lettuce leaves on serving plate.
- Run very thin bladed knife around inside of bowl to help with unmolding.
- Carefully, plate lettuce-lined plate upside down over molded potato salad.
- Flip and tap gently to release.
- Using a medium-fine grater/microplane, grate the cooked egg yolks over the top of the molded salad.
- Decorate with sliced stuffed olives, if desired.