Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My mother showed me how to make this easy recipe a few years ago and it is my husband's favorite so far. It goes well with white rice. UPDATE! Cindytc's review was for 4 lbs. brisket and for that amount ot meat, you could use 1 Onion soup packet, 1 jar of marinara and 1 cup of red wine. I have now altered the recipe, since her review, to 8 lbs. of meat (I sometimes use 4 smaller briskets). I like it with sauce. You can also make this in the crockpot on low heat for about 6 hours or until tender when checked with a fork. Enjoy!
- 8 lbs beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, to taste
- 2 (1 ounce) packets onion soup mix
- 2 (28 ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 2 cups red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the brisket in a Dutch oven or covered roasting pan. (My Mom likes to pan sear the meat to "lock in the juices" but I can't tell the difference and don't usually do it).
- Sprinkle meat with the salt, garlic and onion packet all over.
- Now add the marina sauce and wine.
- Turn meat a few times to coat.
- Cook 3 hours, turning meat after 1 1/2 hours.
- The meat will be done when it is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove brisket to a cutting board and let cool a bit for easier cutting.
- Cut meat on the diagonal of the grain.
- Return meat to sauce and serve.
- It is also great the next day and it freezes well.
This was really good, tender and juicy - the family whole family enjoyed it. I decided to skip the salt - there's enough in packaged onion soup mix, IMO.
We also halved the recipe, but had only a 3# brisket, so there was plenty of sauce left. Definitely a keeper!
great-tast.ing, and juicy
Delicious tender, juicy brisket. I halved the recipe with great success. I used recipe #110331 for the onion soup mix, and seared the meat first like your Mom does. So easy to make and tasty. Served it with potato pancakes. Think this recipe would be good with beef ribs too. Will definitely make it again. Thanks for posting.