Recipe by Oolala
My mother showed me how to make this easy recipe a few years ago and it is my husband's favorite so far. It goes well with white rice. UPDATE! Cindytc's review was for 4 lbs. brisket and for that amount ot meat, you could use 1 Onion soup packet, 1 jar of marinara and 1 cup of red wine. I have now altered the recipe, since her review, to 8 lbs. of meat (I sometimes use 4 smaller briskets). I like it with sauce. You can also make this in the crockpot on low heat for about 6 hours or until tender when checked with a fork. Enjoy!
Top Review by D. Duckie
This was really good, tender and juicy - the family whole family enjoyed it. I decided to skip the salt - there's enough in packaged onion soup mix, IMO.
We also halved the recipe, but had only a 3# brisket, so there was plenty of sauce left. Definitely a keeper!
- 8 lbs beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, to taste
- 2 (1 ounce) packets onion soup mix
- 2 (28 ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 2 cups red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the brisket in a Dutch oven or covered roasting pan. (My Mom likes to pan sear the meat to "lock in the juices" but I can't tell the difference and don't usually do it).
- Sprinkle meat with the salt, garlic and onion packet all over.
- Now add the marina sauce and wine.
- Turn meat a few times to coat.
- Cook 3 hours, turning meat after 1 1/2 hours.
- The meat will be done when it is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove brisket to a cutting board and let cool a bit for easier cutting.
- Cut meat on the diagonal of the grain.
- Return meat to sauce and serve.
- It is also great the next day and it freezes well.