Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My mom is well-known in this area for her homemade jellies, jams, and chutneys. This is the recipe she uses for her famous mango chutney. She got it from Southern Living but don't tell her friends ;)
Top Review by WarringEagle
This is an excellent recipe. I did not have time to chill it for 8 hours and also had to reduce the onions for my husband's sake and it still turned out delicious! : ) Thank you for submitting it.
- 3 large mangoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup peeled chopped cooking apple (Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large glass bowl.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower the heat and cook 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Divide mixture into airtight containers.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week; may keep in freezer for up to 6 months.