Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom made this all the time when I was young. As simplistic as it is, I can't help but love it--one of my favorites!! (I get her to make this for me instead of birthday cakes) Yummy!!
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks (whites reserved to make meringue)
- Blend milk, juice, and yolks until thick (5 minutes or so).
- Pour into pie shell.
- In clean bowl, beat egg whites with sugar to taste until thick (stiff peaks).
- Cover pie with meringue.
- Bake at 350 until meringue is browned slightly.
- (5-10 minutes).
- Chill and serve.
This was a wonderful balance of tart and sweet. The texture of the filling was much better than others I have had. I made my own shortcrust pastry for this, and I cannot believe how easily it came together. I used 4 egg whites because I like my meringie mountainous and used 2 tbs sugar per egg white. I cooked it for 15 mins. Next time I may extend that slightly. I forgot to refrigerate it after I made it, so the filling went a little messy, but I'm pretty sure it would have firmed up if I had done that.
This is a great pie to make if you're short on time. It's nice and lemony, a bit on the sweet side I thought, but my husband thought it was just right. Very easy to make, and it tastes really good. I also used 4 egg whites, 5 tbsp sugar total in the meringue. I baked it about 10 minutes total, then chilled it immediately. Thanks for a very good recipe!