Recipe by cbgreek
The most popular recipe in my mom's arsenal! Unfortunately so many people have requested the recipe in the past 40+ years that she can no longer claim it as her own! This makes a great side dish and is often seen at every family gathering and church pot-luck that we attend. My brother & I always liked ours a little soupy so when I make it for us I add a little extra milk to the top so that it stays loose. Truly Yummy!
- 1 lb smooth rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions however cook until al-dente- or approximately 2 minutes less that it says to cook. Drain noodles. Do not rinse.
- Take a 9x13" pan and butter well. Sprinkle parmesean cheese on bottom of pan and set pan aside.
- Heat half and half, milk, butter and salt together over medium heat until hot. DO NOT BOIL. ( A non-stick pot is great so that the milk won't stick and burn on the bottom.) Take out 1 cup of the milk / butter mixture and set aside.
- Stir pasta into hot milk mixture and cook over medium heat until pasta and milk thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Pour pasta into prepared pan. Drizzle the reserved 1 cup milk mixture over top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 400' for 25 minutes or until top is beginning to brown and it is bubbly.
- Cut into squares and scoop out to serve.