Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
My mom's macaroni salad recipe. I leave out the bell peppers because Hubby doesn't care for them, and I chop the onions very fine because I don't like biting into big pieces. I also recommend making extra dressing to add later. The macaroni will absorb the moisture as it sets, which could make the salad seem too dry.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green & red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup hard-boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- Boil macaroni according to package directions, being sure not to overcook.
- Drain macaroni in a colander, then run under cold water or return to the pot and fill with cold water to chill.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine macaroni, dressing and your choice of add-ins in a large bowl (preferably one with a lid for storage) and mix thoroughly.
- Chill for at least 2-3 hours so flavors can blend.
- Add extra dressing if needed.
Didnt use bell peppers ,only cuz didnt have on hand.
Also used Miracle whip instead o Mayo.So I doubled recipe but only used 1 cup Miracle Whip.
Good macaroni salad. I used all the add-ins except the bell peppers. I also used coarse black pepper and paprika to sprinkle over top. It was very good, but not what I'd consider oustanding. I think it could use some other herbs and/or spices. Thanx for posting !
This was good but it needs something. I left out the green pepper but used all the other add-ins. I think maybe I'll add some sweet pickles and/or olives to the rest. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 2011.