Recipe by LORI K.
This is my mom's recipe for homemade macaroni salad. I've tried all kinds of homemade, store bought, and (gasp!) boxed mixes, and nothing beats this recipe. It's quick too!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 -3 cups mayonnaise (you may use light or reduced fat)
- 2 cups carrots (buy the pre-shredded, it save time)
- 1⁄2-1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 -4 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 g Sweet 'n Low (= to about 1 pkg.)
- 1 small onion
- 3 celery ribs
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Chop onion and celery and add to boiling pasta water during last 2 minutes of cooking. Cook just long enough to soften. Drain and rinse all in cold water to stop cooking process.
- Mix mayo, carrots, pickle relish, vinegar, yellow mustard, sweetener, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Place drained macaroni mixture in serving bowl. Pour dressing over pasta and mix. Cover with cling film and chill until ready to serve.
- I usually reserve about 1 cup of dressing and mix in just before serving so that the salad is moist. Also, I make this a day ahead so that the flavors have time to marry.