Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious Mac & Cheese recipe from my family. Enjoy!
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 3 or 4 quart shallow baking dish.
- In a heavy pan, melt 6 T. butter.
- Add the 1/4°C + 2 T. flour and whisk for 3 minutes.
- Add milk slowly and bring to a boil.
- Add mustard, cayenne, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer until thick. Around 2 minutes.
- Cook the elbow mac according to the packages directions, and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix the macaroni, sauce, cheddar and 1°C parmesan.
- Put all this into the baking dish.
- In another bowl, mix bread crumbs and 1/3°C parmesan and sprinkle onto the main dish.
- Add a sliver of butter on top of the dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Good old fashioned baked mac and cheese, whats not to like? Not difficult to make and a sure fire pleaser. I had to have a very small serving because of the fat/calorie load but DH didn't cut back and loved every bite I boosted my serving with a green salad and steamed broccoli. Made for Pic A Chef, Spring 2013.