Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Warming, comfort food from childhood.
Make and share this Mom's Macaroni & Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil macaroni till tender.
- Make a white sauce (or use jar kind) and add dry mustard and paprika. Thouroughly blend.
- Add 4 oz. cheddar cheese to white sauce and stir until melted.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and blend.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer noodles and sauce alternately for two layers.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 C cheddar cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
This is the kind of homemade mac & cheese that kids love. No eggs or breadcrumbs or anything "fancy".... just good old classic, creamy mac & cheese! I doubled the recipe and I recommend doing so. I made my own basic white sauce...... butter, flour and milk. I'll make this again. Thanx for sharing!
Made this for dinner tonight - I like the touch of mustard adds a little zing and I thought the serving size was prefect when you are trying to loose weight this is just the right portion thank you so much for sharing!
I thought if it would make enough to serve 8 as a side dish it would make enough to serve 3 by itself but it wasn't true. I think it makes a bit less than a box of mac n' cheese mix, so if you're serving more than 2 as the main dish, more than 6 as a side dish, I'd double it. I used extra-sharp cheddar and the jar kind of sauce. The taste was pretty good and we liked that there weren't any fancy extras (breadcrumbs, eggs, cottage cheese, etc.), but there was something about the texture that my family just didn't go for. It's hard to describe but the sauce gets kind of like pastey when it gets baked. Thanks anyway.