Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother always used american cheese but you can use whatever type of cheese you want. This is truly a comfort food for me.
- 32 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 lbs sliced American cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- Cook macaroni until ala dente.
- Melt cheese and milk to make a cheese sauce, I do this in the microwave at 50% power. Save 6 slices of cheese for top of casserole.
- Mix the macaroni and cheese and put into a 4 quart casserole that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Put the 6 slices of cheese on top of casserole and then top with bread crumbs and put pats of butter on top of that.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Great comfort food! I love this stuff! I made 1/2 recipe and the cheese/milk took 6-7 minutes in the microwave at 1/2 power. A half recipe feeds 6-8 people. This was made for Pick A Chef spring 2008.
The only mac & cheese (besides boxed w/cheese powder) that my kids will eat! Thanks so much for a great recipe. One thing, though. This recipe makes WAY more than 6 servings. It makes more like 20 servings. It will be perfect for meals on wheels!