1/2 Photos of Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
Sue Lau's Note:
This is something my mom used to make for me when I was a kid. It is simple, quick, and great for kids and adults alike.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (7 1/4 ounce) boxes kraft macaroni & cheese dinner mix, not prepared
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like the petit cut)
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese, to garnish (optional)
- 1Cook macaroni in boiling salted water until tender; drain.
- 2Mix cooked macaroni with butter, stirring well.
- 3While macaroni is cooking, cook ground beef, garlic and onion in a large skillet until beef is browned and cooked through.
- 4Drain any accumulated fat.
- 5Add chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (with their juice), mixing well.
- 6Bring meat mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until macaroni is done.
- 7Mix meat mixture with cooked buttered macaroni (do NOT add any additional milk as package suggests).
- 8Sprinkle contents of cheese packets into pasta and stir until blended.
- 9Serve garnished with grated cheddar, if desired.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.0
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 2215.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 42.0 g