Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is something my mom used to make for me when I was a kid. It is simple, quick, and great for kids and adults alike.
- 2 (7 1/4 ounce) boxeskraft macaroni & cheese dinner mix, not prepared
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like the petit cut)
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese, to garnish (optional)
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water until tender; drain.
- Mix cooked macaroni with butter, stirring well.
- While macaroni is cooking, cook ground beef, garlic and onion in a large skillet until beef is browned and cooked through.
- Drain any accumulated fat.
- Add chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (with their juice), mixing well.
- Bring meat mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until macaroni is done.
- Mix meat mixture with cooked buttered macaroni (do NOT add any additional milk as package suggests).
- Sprinkle contents of cheese packets into pasta and stir until blended.
- Serve garnished with grated cheddar, if desired.
Excellent way to use Kraft Dinner and make it tasty and interesting...kids loved it and so did I.
3 of us ate this tonight and we all say 5*s. Something like hamburger helper but so much better. I only used 1 rounded teaspoon chili powder and it was just right for us. This would easily feed 6 people, I have enough left over to feed 3 of us tomorrow. A very good and cheap recipe to make.
This was really good, but next time I'll reduce the amount of chili powder for my son. It was just spicy enough for me.