Recipe by Pureyum
My mom and maybe yours....I've tried soooo many recipes for Macaroni and Cheese, from the very sophisticated to the most simple. Many are good, but it was hard to find mom's recipe that I absolutely loved. Through lots of experimentation I think I've finally got it right, if not better....simple and simply delicious.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made primarily for a housebound neighbor couple who really likes mac & cheese, I followed your recipe right on down & they loved it (for several meal, in fact), & I held enough back for the 2 of us to enjoy it, too! The only thing omitted from the ingredients was the Tabasco sauce! Might just take your tip the next time around & add some peas to give a bit more nutrition! Anyway, thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, whole grain or regular
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup Wondra Flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 -12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare macaroni as per pkg. instructions.
- Melt butter on medium high heat, add Wondra flour, whisk until well blended. Add cream cheese and whisk until creamy, add milk, sour cream and bring to slow boil, add 10-12 oz Velveeta. Stir until all cheese has melted. Add a few drops of Tabasco sauce, to give it a little kick.
- Add to macaroni and whaala! Perfect mac n cheese you'll love. If you'd like to bake this version, simply place in baking dish, add thin slices of Velveeta or American to top and bake at 375 degree oven until cheese is scorched and bubbly. (About 30 min.).
- You can add fresh or frozen peas, chunks of ham, sliced cooked brats, brocoli, or anything else your little heart desires to this version of mac n' cheese.