Recipe by getoutofmygalley
I grew up on this stuff, and no matter how many new mac'n cheese recipes I try, I always go back to Mom. Easy. Cheap. Yum!
- 1 lb medium pasta shell
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 lb sliced American cheese, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for about one minute.
- Add milk and whisk until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Break up the cheese slices and drop into the milk mixture. Do several pieces at once, stirring until melted. Continue with the rest of the cheese until you have a nice, creamy cheese sauce. Don’t let it get too thick; add more milk as you go, if necessary.
- Add salt and pepper to the cheese sauce- adjust it to your taste.
- Pour sauce over pasta and mix well.