Recipe by skfritz525
This is a dish we traditionally have on Christmas Eve. We pop it in the oven, timed to come on at a certain time, go to Christmas Eve service, then come home right when it's finished. It's delicious with garlic bread and a light side salad. Mom made this a lot when I was growing up, but I've adjusted her recipe with lighter ingredients and get asked for the recipe just as often as she did.
- 6 -8 lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2-1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb low-fat sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato paste (or 8 ounces tomato paste and 12 oz can tomato sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup lowfat parmesan cheese
- 1 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat and drain on paper towels.
- Clean grease from large skillet or you can use another large pan.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasoning to meats in the pan and simmer 35-45 minutes.
- For the filling, mix together in a bowl 2 eggs, beaten, 1 lb. cottage cheese, and 1/2°C parmesan cheese.
- Have ready the mozzarella and Light Velveeta.
- Spray with non-stick spray the bottom of a deep 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Beginning with noodles, layer cottage filling, mozzarella cheese, and Velveeta Light, then sauce, noodles, and end with the meat sauce.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then serve.