1 hr 10 mins
This is a dish we traditionally have on Christmas Eve. We pop it in the oven, timed to come on at a certain time, go to Christmas Eve service, then come home right when it's finished. It's delicious with garlic bread and a light side salad. Mom made this a lot when I was growing up, but I've adjusted her recipe with lighter ingredients and get asked for the recipe just as often as she did.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 lasagna noodles
- 1/2-1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb low-fat sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato paste (or 8 ounces tomato paste and 12 oz can tomato sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup lowfat parmesan cheese
- 1 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4-1/2 lb Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
- 1Brown meat and drain on paper towels.
- 2Clean grease from large skillet or you can use another large pan.
- 3Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasoning to meats in the pan and simmer 35-45 minutes.
- 4For the filling, mix together in a bowl 2 eggs, beaten, 1 lb. cottage cheese, and 1/2°C parmesan cheese.
- 5Have ready the mozzarella and Light Velveeta.
- 6Spray with non-stick spray the bottom of a deep 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- 7Beginning with noodles, layer cottage filling, mozzarella cheese, and Velveeta Light, then sauce, noodles, and end with the meat sauce.
- 8Cover with foil.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- 10Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Light Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 162.7 mg
- Sodium 1726.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lowfat parmesan cheese