Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was my mother's recipe, and there was just something about the way she made it, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I hope you will try it and like it as much as I do.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 slice fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 dried hot red chili peppers, broken in half
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- flour (for dredging, can use cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- green onion, sliced thin (to garnish)
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour or cornstarch and brown in oil.
- Make braising liquid which consists of:.
- 4 tablespoons sherry.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce.
- 1/4 teaspoons sugar.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed.
- 1 slice fresh ginger, crushed.
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil.
- 2 whole star anise.
- 2 dried red chili peppers, broken in half.
- Pour over browned chicken pieces for about 15 minute or until tender.
- Combine 3/4 cup lemon juice and 3/4 cup sugar to make lemon sauce. Simmer for 10 minute.
- Meanwhile combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water, add to lemon -sugar mixture and cook until clear. Add grated lemon rind and pour over chicken.
- Garnish with green onions.
Finally, a real Chinese tasting lemon chicken with just an amazing flavor! I so loved this and so did the kids despite it being too spicy for them. Next time I'll decrease the amount of hot pepper and I did not use the star anise which I don't like but I'll definitely be making this again! 10/16/08 edit: I just wanted to add that I have made this several times now and I find that it tastes best when the ginger is not crushed, just briefly cooked in the sauce and then removed otherwise it does get a bit overpowering unless you are completely enthralled with ginger than it probably wouldn't matter.