Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are the best lemon bars I've ever had. The key to these is the butter/shortening combo in the crust, you must use both, do not substitute one for the other.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 5 -6 tablespoons lemon juice
- powdered sugar, to top
- Mix the first 4 ingredients and press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Mix the next 4 ingredients, my mom always uses a little more lemon juice than is called for. Remove pan from oven and pour filling over the top.
- Bake for 25 more minutes or until they start to brown at the edges.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar when they come out of the oven, cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Needed a dessert for our office Christmas Party, but I was short on butter, so I tried this recipe. I also used King Arthur Gluten free flour as we have some gluten free eaters, and wanted them to enjoy the bars also! Not overly sweet, which everyone liked, as they are healthy and fit military folks! Overall an excellent recipe and a big hit!
This is close to duplicate of my family recipe for Lemon Bars. They are fabulous, and the recipe is right on. The only difference in mine is that it makes 48. Make these, you won't regret it!
Best lemon bars I've ever tasted, just melted in my mouth. Like the others, I used butter flavored Crisco shortening along with the butter, added an extra tablespoon of flour and 7 tablespoons of lemon juice and added 2 teaspoons lemon zest. Would give this 10 stars if I could.......Thank you!