Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my mom's recipe. I think that she got it off the side of a lasagna box and then changed it a little. It's the best lasagna EVER. You can use oven ready lasagna noodles if you want, it saves a lot of time. (I always thought cooking the noodles was the hardest part because they fall apart.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and chopped onion in olive oil.
- Pour the can of tomatoes with juice into a two cup measuring cup and add enough red wine to fill the cup to the two cup line.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, water, parsley, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano to the skillet. Stir.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If you're using regular lasagna noodles, cook and drain them. If you're using the oven ready ones, go to the next step.
- Spread 3/4 cup sauce in a 9x13 pan.
- Add a layer of noodles, then layer with sauce, ricotta, mozzerella, and parmesan.
- Repeat layers until you get to your last set of noodles.
- End with sauce, mozzerella, and parmesan.
- If you're using regular noodles, bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes.
- If you're using oven ready noodles, cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.