Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This has been a favorite in our family for years. I sometimes replace 2 of the potatoes with 2 medium parsnips or add some frozen green beans in with the pearl onions.
- 4 lamb shanks
- garlic powder
- teriyaki sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix, packet
- 3 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 5 ounces white pearl onions, frozen
- Season the lamb shanks liberally on both sides with teriyaki sauce, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the meat under the broiler until browned. Turn it over and brown the other side.
- While the meat is browning, put 2 cups of water and the onion soup mix into a pot large enough to hold the meat, bring to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour into 1 cup of cold water and stir well.
- When the soup has boiled stir in the flour mixture and stir until thickened. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- When the meat has browned add the meat and any pan juices to the pot.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the meat over and add the vegetables, getting as many of them into the gravy as possible.
- Cook for 50 minutes and then add the onions.
- Cook for 10 more minutes.