Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This is the recipe that my grandmother and my mom use to make kuchen. It takes about half the morning to make the kuchen but the results are very much worth it. Mom and I bake this in my grandma's enamel kuchen pans which are over 70 years old and are the same size as an 9 inch pie plate but have shallow sides.
- 2 (1/3 ounce) packages yeast
- 2⁄3 cup water (110-115 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup solid shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups milk, scalded and cooled
- 10 -11 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Soak the yeast in the 2/3 cup water with the one tablespoon sugar. Let set 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening, sugar and eggs with a mixer.
- Add in the salt and scalded milk.
- Add in the yeast mixture.
- Mix in 3 cups flour. Add remaining flour a little at a time to make a soft dough.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- While dough is rising, combine all ingredients for custard topping in 2 quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Be sure to stir it constantly as it will burn. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Punch down dough and make into kuchens. I divide the dough in half and then divide each half into fourths.
- Form each into ball and then press dough out and up sides of greased pans.
- Add fruit filling to each kuchen. I use cherry pie filling, cooked prunes, fresh sliced peaches or peach pie filling as well as cottage cheese filling.
- Top each kuchen with a few spoons full of custard filling and spread across fruit. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Let kuchen rise 10 minutes.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- As soon as you remove the kuchen from the pan, brush the edges with melted butter to keep them soft.
- Store in refrigerator or place in ziplock bag and freeze.
- These freeze well and will taste great reheated in the oven or microwave.