Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From my Mom's splattered old recipe card. It does not get any more authentic than this. A native of FL and a 54 year resident..she knows her pies. (NO green food coloring please :))
- 4 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice
- 1 graham cracker crust, baked (sorry Mom, I use Keebler)
- 4 egg whites (see above)
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat egg yolks with mixer until light in color.
- Slowly add condensed milk mixing well.
- Stir while adding lime juice.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Set aside and prepare meringue.
- For meringue, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add sugar and vanilla just at the last minute.
- Top pie with meringue.
- Brown in 325 degree preheated oven just until peaks brown and the rest is golden in color.
- (This will happen fairly quickly so watch closely.) Serve cool.
I made this for dessert to go with BBQ. It was done in a flash and delicious. I baked it for just @ 10 minutes; anymore and it would have browned too much. I live in Florida, so I've had my share of Key Lime Pie, and this is a good one! Don't worry no green food coloring needed ;)