Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My Dad grew up in New Bedford and Fairhaven MA so he was very much into Portugues food. My mom was a typical "nothing spicy" New England cook. However, she attempted to make this soup for my dad. She definately succeeded. Make sure you have some crusty bread or portugues rolls to sop up the juices. You will not find a better Kale soup anywhere. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs linguica sausage
- 1 beef shank
- 1 (1 lb) beef roast
- 1 large white onions (left whole) or 1 large yellow onion (left whole)
- 10 cups water (or half water, half beef broth)
- 1 bunch fresh kale
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (30 ounce) can kidney beans
- 6 medium potatoes (medium to large, diced)
- Cook for 1 hour to a boil: Linguica (cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces), shank bone, small beef roast, onion, 10 Cups water (or half water, half beef broth).
- Then Add: Kale, beans, potatoes.
- *Simmer - the longer, the better!
- *I usually simmer mine for at least 3 hours. The onion will fall apart and the beef roast will too. Don't forget to remove the shank bone. salt and pepper to taste in your bowl.