Nana Amy's Note:
I grew up eating tongue. It was one of our favorite meals. If you like tongue you will love this. True comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the tongue for 2- 2 1/2 hours in a large covered pot. It should be fork tender.
- 2Remove with a cooking fork and put it on a large platter.
- 3Remove the skin with a knife. You might have to let it cool awhile before you can do this.
- 4On the platter, season the tongue with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and alot of paprika.
- 5In the same large pot that you've cleaned of all the debris from boiling the tongue, Saute the chopped onion, that you have seasoned with some of the same seasonings, until translucent.
- 6Put the seasoned tongue on a rack inside the same large pot and add only 1/2" of water to pot.
- 7Add carrots and potatoes and roast, covered, about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- 8Remove pot from oven and make sure there is enough liquid for gravy. If not, add some more water.
- 9Put back in 350 degree oven for another 30 minutes to brown and thoroughlly cook carrots and potatoes.
- 10Let stand for 15 min after cooking; then slice and serve all together, putting the gravy in a gravy boat.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Jewish Braised Fresh Beef Tongue
Serving Size: 1 (668 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.4
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 140.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 161.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: