Recipe by SweetsLady
This came out of my mom's recipes. I have made it for a long time.
Top Review by I'mPat
I scaled this back for 4 serves and made them into 6 mini meatloafs which was plenty for 3 of us (the DM and I had 1 each and the DS 2, a delicious recipe that is easy to put together. I baked them for 20 minutes (at 175C fan forced) in the muffin pan and then transferred to an 8"x8" pan and topped with the sauce and mozzarella and put in for a further 10 minutes. Thank you SweetsLady. made for Went To Market.
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bread in milk.
- Add salt pepper, thyme, 1/2 t. basil, 1/4 cup tomato sauce and stir with fork to break up the bread cubes.
- Cook onions in butter for 5 minutes or until soft and add to bread mixture.
- Mix lightly with fork.
- Add in ground beef and mix with hands if needed.
- Turn into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour; then drain fat.
- Turn into shallow baking dish.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce and basil. Spoon over loaf.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 15 more minutes.