Recipe by Whisper
This is one of my Mom's recipes, just as she had it written. I used to love to have it at her house for Sunday dinner. Makes a great winter meal, steaming hot and filling. (Cook time includes time to cook chicken initially.)
- 1 large cheap old chicken
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 package knox herb soup mix
- 3 potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 7 ingredients in large pot; cover with water.
- Add soy sauce; simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from pot; cool and debone.
- Replace chicken to pot.
- Add Knox soup mix, potatoes, and frozen peas.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Mix Bisquick with 1 cup water.
- Drop the dough by large tablespoonfuls into simmering stew (about 15 dumplings).
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer for another 10 minutes.