Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mom makes this recipe and it's a different take on traditional slaw. It's a fairly simple side dish to serve for a quick meal. Cooking times and serving sizes are approximates.
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 peeled and grated apple
- Fry bacon, remove from the skillet and crumble.
- In the bacon fat, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, celery seed and salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Stir in the cabbage and apple.
- Simmer about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle bacon on top and serve hot.
We liked the flavour of this, it was a nice change. I used a cole slaw ready mix, worked very well. Very easy to put together, instead of grateing the apple I chopped it up small. It made a quick healthy side dish. Thanks for posting I will make it again.