Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my stepmom's recipe.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- hard-boiled egg, slices for garnish
- Boil potatoes in their jackets; cool, peel, and slice into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Slowly fry bacon in skillet until crisp, drain on paper towels, and crumble.
- Saute the onion in bacon fat until golden brown.
- Blend in the flour, salt, pepper, sugar, and celery seeds.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in water and vinegar and bring to a boil, constantly stirring.
- Carefully stir the potatoes and crumbled bacon inches.
- Remover from heat, cover, and let stand until ready to serve.