Recipe by Liara
My mom makes this every year for the holidays, these are delicious and pretty easy to make. I've gotten detailed in the instructions, because she gave me this recipe when I was first learning how to make bread.
Top Review by shawneebookworm
I've meant to post a comment on this recipe for months. Sorry!~ This is the most wonderful and easy recipe I've ever used. I changed one thing. I add the sugar to the water/yeast mixture. Thank you so much for sharing. Special thanks to "Mom" for passing it down. I will pass it to my daughter and granddaughter as well. Hope that makes you both smile. Thanks Again!~
- 473.18 ml water
- 7.08 g package yeast
- 59.14 ml lukewarm water
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml shortening
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1419.54 ml flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast and 2 Tablespoons sugar in 1/4 cup warm water, set aside.
- Microwave 2 cups water, shortening and salt, until the shortening melts.
- Stir this mixture until it completely dissolves.
- Start adding flour about 2 cups to start to this mixture, just a little at a time so that it stays smooth and doesn't get lumpy.
- Then add yeast mixture, mix well.
- Continue adding flour and then turn out on floured surface and knead in remaining flour, until no longer tacky.
- Grease a large bowl or pan with vegetable oil.
- Put the bread in this bowl cover and let it rise.
- If you use a fast acting yeast it should take about 45 minutes.
- Turn out on the counter and fold in sides, put back in bowl and let rise again.
- After the second rising it is time to turn it out and make the rolls or bread and place it in a pan.
- Make sure the pan is well oiled with vegetable oil.
- Place them in the pan (pans) and let rise one last time and then bake them at 375°F oven until done, about 20 minutes or so.