My mom makes this every year for the holidays, these are delicious and pretty easy to make. I've gotten detailed in the instructions, because she gave me this recipe when I was first learning how to make bread.
- Dissolve yeast and 2 Tablespoons sugar in 1/4 cup warm water, set aside.
- Microwave 2 cups water, shortening and salt, until the shortening melts.
- Stir this mixture until it completely dissolves.
- Start adding flour about 2 cups to start to this mixture, just a little at a time so that it stays smooth and doesn't get lumpy.
- Then add yeast mixture, mix well.
- Continue adding flour and then turn out on floured surface and knead in remaining flour, until no longer tacky.
- Grease a large bowl or pan with vegetable oil.
- Put the bread in this bowl cover and let it rise.
- If you use a fast acting yeast it should take about 45 minutes.
- Turn out on the counter and fold in sides, put back in bowl and let rise again.
- After the second rising it is time to turn it out and make the rolls or bread and place it in a pan.
- Make sure the pan is well oiled with vegetable oil.
- Place them in the pan (pans) and let rise one last time and then bake them at 375°F oven until done, about 20 minutes or so.