1/3 Photos of Mom's Homemade Apple Cider (Non-Alchoholic)
3 hrs 15 mins
crazy crafter's Note:
When I was growing up my mom made a version of this every fall to help get rid of the apples that were starting to wrinkle and weren't bad just yet and she'd make apple jelly with the juice too. I hope you like it as much as my family did and now my neighbors do :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Quarter your apples (no need to remove peel or seeds).
- 2In a large stock pot add your apples and fill with water--just enough to cover the apples.
- 3Add your sugar.
- 4Wrap your cinnamon and allspice in a doubled up cheese cloth and tie, and add this to the apples and water.
- 5Boil on high for one hour (uncovered) checking on it frequently.
- 6Turn down heat and let simmer for two hours (covered).
- 7Take off the heat after two hours of simmering and let cool.
- 8Remove spices and mash up the apples to a pulp like consistency (a potato masher works well for this).
- 9Once cool pour into a strainer over a large bowl. When most of the juice has drained away, put the remainder of the pulp into a doubled up cheese cloth and squeeze over the bowl until no more juice comes out.
- 10(At this point you can either restrain the juice to get out the little bits of pulp that remain with a cheese cloth draped inside the strainer to catch them or just leave it like I do).
- 11You can store in an air tight container in your refrigerator for up to a week or you can freeze it for later use if you like.
- 12Reheat in the microwave or on the stove and enjoy either plain or you can add caramel syrup or caramels, whipped topping with cinnamon or, like my neighbors did if you like it really sweet, with marshmallows or marshmallow creme.
- 13also you could make this a diabetic recipe by omitting the sugar and adding diabetic sweeteners to taste in place of the sugar or none at all.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Homemade Apple Cider (Non-Alchoholic)
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.0
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 41.9 g
- Protein 1.0 g