Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
My mother is from Spain, but Thanksgiving is her favorite holiday. She has been making this stuffing for over 30 years - it wouldn't be the holidays without it!
- 1 lb bulk sausage, sage-flavored
- 1 lb bulk sausage, spicy-flavored (hot)
- 2 onions, medium sized and chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecan halves
- 2 (12 ounce) bagspepperidge farm herb seasoned stuffing mix (not the cubed one, but the crumbled)
- 2 cups chicken broth, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium high heat, brown both pounds of sausage. When cooked, add chopped onions and celery and saute in sausage drippings until softened, about 8 minutes. Then add pecans and saute for another 7-8 minutes until the nuts have softened and absorbed the flavors of the sausage and veggies.
- In a saucepan, warm the chicken broth over medium heat. Add 1 and 1/2 bags of the stuffing to the sausage mixture and mix thoroughly until the bread is coated. Add the rest of the stuffing if it looks too dry.
- Add chicken broth by the ladleful until the desired consistency is reached - you will likely not use it all.