Recipe by puppitypup
This is good old fashioned comfort food. A great way to use up leftover ham. Prep time includes making the biscuits.
Top Review by Annacia
This is exactly as promised, good ole' comfort food! No elegance and show here but everyone will leave the table happy and full (and there likely won't be any left!). For the biscuit base I used Recipe#211406 and it was ideal here. To trim the fat some I just micro'ed the onion and celery, used skim milk and lower fat soup. If this doesn't make your man happy you might as well give up because nothing will!
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 batch uncooked biscuit
Directions See How It's Made
- Make your biscuits but don't bake them yet. (I use my recipe #182802).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, grease a 9 x 12 casserole or pyrex dish.
- Make the biscuits and set them in the pan.
- Saute onions, celery and oil.
- Stir in flour and slightly brown, being careful not to burn.
- Stir in milk a little at a time and add soup.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat and add the ham and lemon juice, stir.
- Pour over the biscuits and bake about 30 minutes or until biscuits are done. (I put a jelly roll pan underneath in case it rises too much.).
- Let casserole set for 5 minutes or so before serving.