Recipe by cellospot
The way I remember her making it. Please feel free to add or subtract ingredients as you see fit.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 (1 lb) boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, chopped into bite-sized chunks (andouille)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb okra
- 2 bay leaves
- cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme (or to taste)
- black pepper
- salt (optional, taste first)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the roux, pour oil into saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add flour while mixing in with the oil. Stir continuously until rue is a dark chocolate brown. This will take approximately 30 or so minutes. If you stop stirring to do something else, the roux will burn and you'll have to start all over again. If roux doesn't get dark enough, you can add kitchen bouquet.
- Once the roux is dark brown, add vegetables one by one starting with onion. Make sure each vegetable is thoroughly mixed in before adding the next vegetable. Garlic will be the last to add. Delay adding okra until just before serving (add a little sooner if you're using frozen okra) to avoid them from getting mushy.
- Add in seasonings. Taste test while cooking.
- Add the meat and mix inches Allow chicken to brown, then add chicken broth. Stir thoroughly. Let simmer for at least 10 minutes to blend all the flavors. Serve over rice.